Categories

Search This Blog

Friday 3 April 2015

Audi TT

What am I looking at?
The new Audi TT. It's a 2+2 sports car with a starting price of £30k. Its 305-litre boot makes it one of the best in class, and space is improved further by folding the rear seats which lay completely flat in order to get a 712-litre loading space.
I've seen the TT around before though.
We've seen two generations of the TT fly by. Mk1 lived from 1998-2006 and Mk2 lived from 2006-2014. Today, we're experiencing Audi's finest, Mk3. Since the beginning (or a year after the beginning if you're going to be fussy), there has been a 2-seater Roadster model to accompany the 2+2 Coupé.
Ah, ok. So tell me, what's new?
There are just two trim levels to consider with the 3rd generation TT - Sport and S line. Both are very well-equipped.
Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors, xenon headlights and LED daytime running lights are all standard kit on Sport models, with the 18-inch 10-spoke alloys topping it all off. Inside, you get aluminium inlays and trim, manual air conditioning, a 3-spoke flat-bottomed multi-function steering wheel, ISOFIX for the front passenger as well as rear seats, DAB, Bluetooth®, a 4-speaker audio system and front sports seats in Alcantara/leather.
S line models add LED headlights with a washing system and 19-inch 5-Arm Star alloys to the exterior whilst matt-brushed aluminium inlays and S line logos on the steering wheel, door sill trims and front seats are to be found inside.
A collection of 9 paint colours are offered on Sport models, with an additional colour added for S line.
What do you think of it?
I'll tell you what I do like. Well, I like the whole car, inside and out, and that's no word of a lie. But the Audi virtual cockpit is really cool. The 12-inch HD LCD display takes place of the traditional instrument cluster. You can either have the classic view with full-sized speedo and rev-counter, or infotainment mode where the dials take a step back in order to make room for a full-screen display, such as that of the sat nav.
That eliminates the need for a screen in the centre console, which makes for less confusing surroundings. And since Audi have eliminated a screen, they've also gone the whole way and taken away buttons by building them into the fans. I love it!
What powers the new TT?
As regards powertrains, there are just two engines on offer. A 2.0-litre TFSI producing 230 PS and 370 Nm, or a 2.0-litre TDI ultra with 184 PS and 380 Nm. The petrol (TFSI) engine can be coupled with a 6-speed manual 'box with front-wheel-drive or the S tronic automatic transmission with either front-wheel-drive or quattro all-wheel-drive. Unfortunately, you're stuck with the standard front-wheel-drive 6-speed manual layout if you opt for the diesel (TDI) unit. That's the same for Coupé and Roadster models.
Are they any good for those who don't have deep pockets?
I suppose. The most efficient is the 2.0-litre TDI ultra (obviously) emitting just 110 g/km of CO2. Yes, Audi claims it's meant to get 67.3 mpg, but real-world figures are expected to be around the 55 mpg mark.
And how much bang do I get for my buck?
In just 5.3 seconds, the 2.0-litre TFSI S tronic with quattro all-wheel-drive will get to 62 mph. Almost real sports car territory.
You've also got the new Audi TTS Coupé, a £40k top-of-the-range TT which takes 4.6 seconds to do the 0-62 mph sprint.
You said the previous generations had Roadster models. Does this?
Yes - on top of that, both the TT Roadster and TTS Roadster are available. They all cost £2,185 more than their Coupé equivalent, even TTS models.
Let's play the options game!
Ok, but quickly! Some of the additional extras that I like include the Hold Assist for £90, the electric front seats (even though they are a bit expensive at £995), heated front seats at £325 and the Bang & Olufsen sound system (part of the £1,590 Comfort and Sound Package).
Would you buy one?
Before now, if anyone would've asked me what car I would buy if I would win the lottery, I would always recite "Range Rover Evoque Coupé in white". Always. But now, I really like the new TT. Let's just hope I win a million so I can buy both, because that decision would be too hard!
Which one would you buy?
If I won the lottery, I'd obviously go for top-of-the-range TTS with all the bells and whistles. But I haven't won the lottery. Neither can I afford a new TT.
But if I had a reasonable budget and was in the market for a new coupé, I'd spend £37,280 on this:
It would definitely be the Coupé though. The Roadster just doesn't do it for me.
You haven't shown me any pictures yet!
I know. That's because I've saved them all until now so you can take a couple of minutes to feast your eyes upon the new TT. Go ahead...
Can I see it in action?
Certainly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKAWqjaOr90
Wow. I really like it.
It's stunning, isn't it? If I've inspired you that much that you want to buy one, or just play around with the online configurators, click for the TT CoupéTT RoadsterTTS Coupé and TTS Roadster.
But wait a minute. What does the TT have to compete against?
That depends on where you place it in the market. The Toyota GT86 with a £22.5k starting price, the Nissan 370Z with a sub-£30k price tag, or the £40k Porsche Cayman.




How do they fare against the TT?
The Cayman gets to 62 mph in 5.6 seconds, but for £65k the Cayman GT4 will get you there in 4.4 seconds. The GT86 takes more than 7 seconds to get to 62 mph, and 370Z models take more than 5.2 seconds (which is set by the Nismo model).
The TTS is pretty quick then!

No comments:

Post a Comment